How to choose the right plastic surgeon
Choosing the right plastic surgeon for you is one of the biggest steps you will take. Through this informative guide, we will discuss the key elements to keep in mind when choosing your plastic surgeon.
What do plastic surgeons do?
Plastic surgeons specialise in cosmetic procedures, which are procedures that serve an aesthetic purpose. Some plastic surgeons specialise in reconstructive surgery, which is where they will recreate a part of the body that has been damaged due to disease or an accident.
Firstly, there are four key questions to keep in mind when choosing your surgeon:
- Does this surgeon have enough expertise to carry out the procedure safely?
- Does this doctor have experience with this type of procedure?
- Can they show me past results of their work?
- Does this surgeon make me feel safe?
The first step to finding the right plastic surgeon is to research their credentials. Not only should you rely on patient testimony, but you should also check that they have the right qualifications to carry out the procedure. Ensure they are certified by these governing bodies:
- GMC Registered: the General Medical Council register allows doctors to practice medicine in the UK. The GMC is intended to protect, promote and maintain the health and safety of the public by ensuring proper standards in medicine. You can also check if they are on the specialist plastic surgeon register on the GMC database also.
- FRCS in plastic surgery qualification: Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) is a qualification to practice as a surgeon in Ireland or the United Kingdom. The Royal College of Surgeons of England enables surgeons to maintain the highest standards of surgical practice and patient care.
- NHS Plastic Surgeon Consultant: surgeons who work, or have worked, for the NHS in substantive NHS posts as consultant cosmetic surgeons will have extensive specialist experience and qualifications in plastic surgery.
Finding authentic patient testimonies is a great way to see how your plastic surgeon has performed in the past. It will also give you details as to how they treated their patients throughout the process – from consultation to aftercare.
There is no harm in booking various consultations with different surgeons. This way, you can assess how each surgeon makes you feel, and if you feel safe in their hands.
Medstars plastic surgeons
Here are some of the plastic surgeons we have onboard here at Medstars:
Mr Hiroshi Nishikawa is highly regarded among his plastic surgical colleagues who often seek his opinion with difficult cases. His cosmetic surgical skills are also in demand from celebrity clients, and he was recently featured in Tatler.
Mr Azhar Iqbal is known for introducing new techniques to his field of cosmetic surgery. He is published in multiple journals, and is dedicated to patient care at his Cheshire clinic.
To learn more about Medstars, browse our health specialists. For any other queries, please get in touch with a member of our friendly team who will be happy to help with your private healthcare journey.
Medstars Medical Concierge Service
Looking for extra guidance when it comes to your healthcare? Sometimes interpreting medical information and making the best decisions can be daunting and complicated. Our private medical concierge service provides easy access to top UK health experts. We guide our patients with genuine choice and trust, offering a bespoke service for anyone in the world seeking private UK healthcare. Learn more about Medstars Medical Concierge Service. Want to learn more about providing our medical concierge service as an employee benefit? Learn more about Medstars Medical Concierge for Business.